Ooooh, not long to go now – It’s almost time for Caerleon Writers’ Holiday and I’m so looking forward to it. Last year was my first visit and I spent most of my time trying desperately to soak up every last bit of writerly advice and DO everything in the programme… It was brilliant but I did burn out half way through. This year, I’m going for a no less productive but hopefully more restful approach. Oh, and I’m taking my friend, Sian – hopefully she’ll enjoy it just as much as me 🙂
There’s another reason for me wanting a quieter time… things are so hectic here!! I’ll be leaving my husband with an awful lot of work to do as we’re moving house at the moment… and I know it’s selfish, but I’m really looking forward to some time away from it all.
My plans for the week are as follows:
– Attend both sets of morning workshops but be a bit more sparing with the afternoon talks and after-tea sessions, just to give my brain a bit of a rest.
-Use the afternoons and after-tea time to write – both my stories and novel have become neglected due to all that’s going on. I didn’t find my small and rather hot student bedroom particularly inspiring last year (though it’s fine for a place to rest up at night) so I’ll head to one of the cafes either on campus or off (you know how I love my cafe writing!) and do some work in there.
– Buy lots of books both in the book room and at Hay. (I’ve saved up especially!)
– Get out and see a bit of Caerleon itself – apart from Hay, the only time I left the campus last time was to go on the pub crawl!!
– Take some insect repellent (I got bitten to shreds last year…)
– Enjoy the food (and bar!) at Caerleon as this is my only trip away this summer.
If you’re coming to Caerleon this year, I’ll see you there 🙂